Sunday, October 17, 2010

My friend Karin has a lovely blog of memories. Her story of the Tortoiseshell Butterfly who came to share her bath has reminded me of some of the creatures I've been privileged to know.
Each one has been special in a different way. The one I'm particularly reminded of tonight is the Daddy Longlegs Spider who came to join us for supper a few nights in a row. We would come in from the Prayer Meeting, get the kettle on, put on the toast, make the tea and then take the bottle of milk out of the fridge and put it in the middle of the little kitchen table at which we sat. One night, we noticed one of the Daddy Longlegs abseiling elegantly down the wall towards the supper table. We watched to see what he had in mind. He walked determinedly past the marmalade, past the plates and cups, over to the bottle of cold milk which was now covered in a fine coating of condensation. Once there, he 'sat' back on his hind pair of legs, leaned forward onto the surface of the milk bottle and began to drink from the condensation! Amazed, we watched as we ate our supper, until our eight-legged friend had had his fill. Then, just as deliberately, he slowly stood up and on his oh so elegant long, long legs, he walked back past the the plates and cups, past the marmalade and made his way back up the wall to his corner from where he had come.
For the following few nights, Daddy Longlegs came and joined us for supper, in the same way, at the same time and returned to his 'spot' when his thirst was quenched. Then he seemed to be gone. We had almost forgotten him until one evening, down the wall came a spider. Was it our friend? Was he thirsty? It wasn't supper-time, there was no bottle of milk on the table, so I took a teaspoon, filled it with water and offered it to the spider who was now halfway down the wall. He took very little persuading. With those beautiful, long, delicate legs, he leaned out onto the teaspoon and buried his jaws in the cold water. This was just too good to be missed. I can't remember whether it was my video or still camera I reached for, but somewhere I have those moments recorded! If I ever come across it, I might even post it. ... Ok ... If I have time...
(Just as I finished typing, my eye was caught by a movement outside the glass door. It was my friend the Vixen, arriving for her nightly visit, wondering where her supper was. She is such a pretty creature and has such a look of expectant trust in her eyes, confident that she won't be disappointed.
So, that's two of my privileges already.
There's also the jackdaw, two pigeons, a sparrow, and a hedgehog to be remembered, apart from a plethora (what's a plethora?) of 'wild' birds who have been with us for years and years.
But enough for one night.
The Lord bless.

1 comment:

  1. I so delight in this story Una. We share our lives with creatures of all sorts. Even spiders and butterflies know hunger and thirst. I'm going to be looking forward to you blog. (I,m priveleged to know what's in store) Beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete