Saturday, April 7, 2018

I'm taking part in the April Poetry Challenge (#NaPoWriMo2018), having been set on the poetry road last May by my cousin Donal and his very creative friends. Having crept towards participation, feeling very inadequate, I've been pleasantly surprised at the reception some of my scribblings have had, so this year my poor family and friends will be inflicted again!
Here's the poem I wrote for Day 1. The prompt (I thought) was Secret Pleasures.

Secret pleasures

There's something about yarn!
Soft, fluffy, cotton, chunky,
Sock wool, aran wool,
Mohair, angora,
Scrubby yarn that sheds and scratches,
Fine cotton – good for patches,
Granny squares from bags of scraps,
Cosy afghans for comfy laps,
Crochet, filet, fairisle, lace,
Blankets, cloths to wash your face,
Baby clothes and fancy sweaters,
Wraps and shawls for cooler weathers,
Projects, projects, never done,
Planning them is so much fun!
Bags and bags and bags of yarn,
Each one with its own soft charm,
Taking up far too much space,
Creating clutter in the place,
But yesterday, at the fabric shop,
They had some discontinued stock
Of yarns in such amazing hues,
Which I could put to quite good use;
I couldn’t leave the things behind!
They'll take up space, but I don’t mind;
My yarn can watch as I get dafter
And we’ll all live happily ever after.
Una Kavanagh, April 1 2018.




















No comments:

Post a Comment